Monday, June 2, 2014

Split, Croatia

My last stop in Croatia was in Split, the second largest city in the country.  From Korcula, I drove along the coast through Bosnia Herzegovina and then through the mountains and countryside before ending in Split.   This city has a ton of history, with Roman ruins, the Diocletian’s palace, and several museums.  The Adriatic Sea and the mountains add to the drama of the old city.

While here, I was blessed with beautiful weather and stayed at a resort on the outskirts of the city.  I took a day to completely relax at the spa and pool, which was much needed 6 weeks into my trip to Europe.  The next day, I chose to go to Marjan, the national park located on the west end of the city.  Here, there are several beaches and hiking trails available to visitors, as well as great panoramic views of the city below.  I walked along the promenade that borders the walls of the old town and made my way to the beaches of Marjan.  For a few hours, I chose to relax on the pebbled beach and swim in the sea.  I spotted dolphins swimming in the cove and  talked with other visitors at one of the beachside cafes.

After fun at the beach, I made my way up to the top of Marjan hill and walked through the park.  As promised, it had great views of the city and surrounding islands.  There were many locals around, exercising in the park and tourists were spending time at the cafe, monuments, and the zoo located there.  

I explored downtown’s cobblestone streets, shops, and cafes in the evening and came across some really cool wedding celebrations.  At first it seemed like a panic, with cars honking their horns and spinning their tires, but was soon realized that the wedding party was on its way to the local church and a parade of cars made its way through the streets to one of the main squares.  Everyone was waving the Croatian flag and anticipating the arrival of the bride and groom.  It was really cool to see and seemed like such a unique and fun way to honor the new couple.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment