Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Outdoor Workout with a View: Basilique du Sacre Coeur - Top of the City in Paris

On my last full day in Paris, I went to the 18th arrondissement, where the Sacred Church (Basilique du Sacre Coeur) is located.  I loved it SO MUCH -  I wish I had found this area of the city on my first day because I enjoyed it so much and wanted to spend so much more time in the area.  I would have gone back every morning (or tried to) in order to get some exercise, enjoy the incredibly tranquil and beautiful view, and enjoy the many unique shops and restaurants that surround the church.

The Sacred Church sits at the top of the city in Paris and requires climbing a large number of steps to get to.  There are multiple staircases leading to the church all around it, so you can choose which path to take.  This makes for a great outdoor workout, with many different things all around to keep you interested.  

Some sets of stairs are much more tourist-filled than others and each one offers a different view.  I took 3 different ones to get a different perspective of the city.  They each lead you to different areas surrounding the church, which are much more intimate than the main facade.  An elevator, trains, and taxis are also available to ride those people to the top who are unable to climb the stairs.

On the back side of the church, there are a few parks, different styles of architecture, and residential areas.  It is much quieter and a great place to relax.   I also passed several pubs and shops that looked really inviting.  

The front and main area of the church is filled with tourists covering the stairs to observe the view, street vendors, and performers of all types.  This included a puppet show, men making bracelets,  musicians, and a man climbing the light posts.  

The Metro stop for this beautiful sight is "Abbesses" and is easily accessible from all lines.   Surrounding this station are many shops and restaurants.   I spent the few hours that I did have available that day exploring and stopping wherever I felt interested.

Do not visit Paris and miss the Basilique du Sacre Coeur!  Pictures below :)


  





















































1 comment:

  1. Hi Lyndsay! Toured the Scared Church in 2004, agree great workout! Loved the views! Great photos by the way!
    Maribeth@HealthFit

    ReplyDelete