Friday, October 25, 2013

Albuquerque, NM - October 15, 2014

Albuquerque, NM


I only spent one day in Albuquerque, NM.  It was two days after the Balloon Fiesta ended and the town seemed very quiet.  I did not find many exciting things going on downtown, but I did enjoy seeing the large number of horse ranches when driving along the Rio Grande.  There were multiple opportunities to go horseback riding or take lessons.

I chose to visit the Balloon Fiesta Location and Museum, which was only $4 and a tiny bit interesting to me.  Here, you can see replicas of the very first hot air balloons, see how they are made, and learn about the history behind trips around the world and the balloon Fiesta.



Old Town
Old Town Albuquerque is one of the most popular places for people to visit and has a large amount of shops and restaurants featuring local artists and allows you to experience historical and cultural aspects of the town.  When I visited, there were very few people in the area, but I found it to be a quiet and relaxing walk.



Sandia Crest
There is one main area right outside of Albuquerque (30-40 minutes) for hiking and driving through scenic areas.  I was not able to hike here because the entire park was closed due to the government shut down, but I did think that they trails looked enjoyable with amazing views of the surrounding canyons.  Instead of hiking, I drove to the top of the mountain, Sandia Crest, and was really impressed with the panoramic views of New Mexico.  I highly recommend this drive, as it does not take long and takes you through cute small town areas with shops and restaurants.  Skiing is also available here in the winter months.






An interesting/creepy face in one of the windows at the top of the mountain.
Sandia Peak Skiing - Closed at this time, but will open for winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment