Friday, October 25, 2013

Horsin' Around Adventures - Sedona

Horseback Riding - Sedona, AZ

While in Sedona, I went horseback riding in South Sedona, an area I had not seen yet on any of my hikes or other tours.  This area contains all of the wineries in the area and has a different looking landscape than the canyons and red rock areas of Sedona.

My wrangler's name was Bill and I was lucky enough to get a private tour that day, as no one else booked the time slot that I had.  Bill was great and had some of the most interesting stories of film making in Sedona.  He has worked a lot with movies and commercials, often the man who is seen falling off of a horse, trains horses for films, and is often contacts for use of his personal horses.  Talking with Bill while riding through Sedona gave me some great insight into this side of the area and I gained a lot of the historical knowledge about the area.

Bill and his horse, Manzanita, leading the way on the trail.

"Bullet" was my horse that day and he gave me the hardest time at the beginning of the ride.  He kept turning around and going back to the stable, which I think was a combination of testing me and just not wanting to go out that day.  However,  once we got to know each other a little, the ride was so enjoyable!  Parts of the ride went through the creek and river, which always amazes me with horses, and we road along the old stage coach road for portions as well.  It was so interesting to see this and made you realize why it took people so long to get anywhere back then.  

 Me and my new friend, Bullet.
For my ride, I used Horsin' Around Adventures.  From advice I was given, this company takes you through rides in the best areas and I highly recommend them.  They were very accommodating and changed my reservation, finding last minute space for me when I was running late after falling in the creek on my morning hike (freezing cold!)




 Some of the other horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment