Friday, May 16, 2014

Capri, Italy (A Little Sorrento, Too)



Originally, I had set aside an entire day for Sorrento and Capri since the only thing that separates the two places is a 25 minute ferry ride.  I took the train from Naples and a little over an hour later I was in Sorrento.  I made my way to the port and took the next available ferry to Capri.  When I got there, I was so impressed with it that I ended up spending the entire day there, leaving time for a short dinner in Sorrento before I had to catch the train back to Naples.

Capri is only 10km^2, so in a boat, you can ride around the entire island in 1 hour, stopping for a few minutes to look at the numerous sea caves along the coast.  The island has two main towns, Capri and Anacapri, and about 12,000 people living on it.  For years, it has been popular with movie stars, writers, and vacationers because of its beautiful blue water and relaxing atmosphere.  The view of cliffs dropping to the sea and smell of lemons while walking around is wonderful.

When I arrived at the port, I booked an island boat tour so that I could get a glimpse of Capri from the sea and visit the Blue Grotto, Green Cave, Coral Cave, Arch of Love, and other main attractions on the island.  I had some time to kill before it departed, so I took a stroll through the tourist market, which has the most interesting things; clothing, handmade Italian shoes, fruits, candies, birds (yes, birds), and some really random things like tons of batteries are for sale.

The boat tour was really enjoyable too, with tourists from numerous countries along for the ride and things to see in every direction.  The most famous attraction, the Blue Grotto" was closed for us to enter because of high tides, but we were able to see the famous entrance to it and enter the Coral Cave, the Green Cave, and the Arch of Love.  The water is the most beautiful color and the rock formations in the caves are impressive.  Some of the most amazing houses are settled in the cliffs and it was cool to see those of the Gerber Family (on top of a cave in a cliff), the owner of Ferrari, Sophia Loren, the owners of Moet and Chandon, Giorgio Armani, and more.

After my boat trip, there were several options to get to Capri Town at the top of the hill: bus, taxi, tram, or a 20 minute walk up the hill.  I opted for walking so that I could admire some of the villas and stop for pictures of the island along the way.  I had to follow these little signs that said "Centro" or "Per il Porto."  It was so cute and each villa had so much character, with their unique entrances, different names, and quaint courtyards.  I think walking gives a great idea of what it is like to live somewhere and enables you to see things you wouldn't on a short ride.  The walk was really steep, winding through tiny stairways and paths, with an occasional view of the sea and harbor below.

When you get to Capri Town, you can feel the happiness of the island and pick from tons of cafes and restaurants to take a break and people watch.  Some amazing shopping is here and with no real organization to the little streets, its easy to get lost making your way from one shop to the next.  I just kept making random turns to find out where it took me, stopping in boutique stores, as well as some like Armani, Gucci, and Versace.  

At one point I ended up on the other side of the island near some hotels and villas.  I found the coolest gelato stand that had homemade gelato using the lemons and oranges from the island.  I can definitely say it was the best gelato I have had and was so refreshing.  I seriously sat for about 10 minutes thinking about whether or not I wanted to buy 2 more scoops.  

Close to there, I came across the Augustus Gardens that cost 1 euro to enter and had the most amazing view of the island.  There were also beautiful flowers, statues, and fountains throughout it.

Tourist Market at the Marina





Marina Grande








Island Boat Tour


"Mamma Mia" Bridge - The only way to get from Capri to Ana Capri

 

Largest Beach in Capri

Amazing Homes
Ferrari
Gerber Family - on top of the cave...




Blue Grotto Entrance


Island Goats




Green Cave

Tiny Statue


















Coral Cave






Statue greeting all of the boats as they come in and out of the harbor.




Orange and Lemon Gelato Stand - SO GOOD!





Capri Town














Walking up to Capri Town


















Augustus Gardens












Some Sorrento, too!








1 comment:

  1. Hi Lyndsay,
    Thank you for this trip to Italy through your beautiful pictures. Just amazing! Take care! luv ya Juli Grimaldi

    ReplyDelete