Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pompeii, Italy



Pictures do not do Pompeii justice, at all.  So, I have included a ton of mine to try and help everyone get an idea of what it is like.  It is something that you can only understand completely by walking through it.  To be honest, I did not know much at all about the place, just that it was the ruins of an old city.  
It is so much more than that!

I am AMAZED at what was found in a city from such a long time ago.  Pompeii dates back to the 8th century B.C., serving as a vacation spot, with elegant homes, bars, markets, and arenas.  It was buried by volcanic ash when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D.  This eruption killed 2,000 people and the city was abandoned until it was discovered in 1748, when excavation started.  Pompeii was found to be mostly intact, preserved under all of that volcanic ash.  It is so interesting to see what the way of life was like for these people such long time ago.  Buildings, skeletons, paintings, statues, jars of fruit, and loaves of bread were discovered. 

From the Naples Central Train Station, it was 40 minutes and cost me $6.00.  I spent 5 hours at Pompeii and felt rushed; I was told that half a day was enough time to explore it, but I totally disagree.  Its size is underestimated and it is easy to get lost and lose track of time wandering the ancient streets.  I found it to be very relaxing and thought provoking, even though there are tons of other tourists there.  Unless you are really crunched for time, I recommend doing everything at your own pace so you can take it all in.  
I know I will never forget my visit there.

Downtown Pompeii, outside of the excavation site, is a really cute town too and I think it is worth exploring.  Plazas, cafes, parks, and boutique shops line the streets, making it an enjoyable afternoon. 

If you want to learn more about the history of Pompeii, check out this link from the History Channel; I found it really interesting: http://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/pompeii

Put Pompeii on you Bucket List :)


Mount Vesuvius:





Arenas











Beautiful Gardens, Parks, and Courtyards





Artwork























Artifacts













Statues and Monuments
















Downtown Pompeii











Beautiful Sites and More
































































No comments:

Post a Comment