Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Vatican City - Rome, Italy




Some places cannot be described or represented well enough with words and pictures.  Some things can only be understood through first hand experience - something that is reinforced every single day during my travels.  Vatican City is one of those places for me.  It's size isn't even comprehendible when you are standing in the middle of it, so showing it in a few pictures is not impossible.  


When I was in college, I visited Vatican City while on a 6 week tour of Europe.  I never forgot the experience and have always told people that it was something they had to see when in Rome.   I visited the basilica, the dome, the museum, and the Sistine Chapel during that trip and can remember it vividly in my mind. 

Vatican City is a walled enclave within the city of Rome and is the smallest state/nation in the world.  St. Peter's Basilica sits in the middle of it all, on the edge of St. Peter's square.  Here, at the largest basilica in the world, everything is so large, so grand.  It was designed this way for people to feel its presence and significance when there; the letters around the base of the dome are over 2 meters high and the tourists below look like ants from up there!  The rounded shape of St. Peter's Square was designed to look like open arms, welcoming everyone into the Vatican.

In Rome for tennis, I had the opportunity to go to the Vatican again.  The dome (or cupola) of St. Peter's Basilica and it's views of the chapel below and the city surrounding it, were specifically on my list.  It was just as beautiful and awe inspiring the second time around.  There is so much history, detail, artwork, and architecture everywhere you look.  I felt at a loss for words most of the time.

I went at 9:00am, when everything opens, which was not early enough.  There are SO MANY tourists here and this is something I try to avoid and have little tolerance for on some days.  The line for security was already 45 minutes long...One month into my trip, lines and crowds can be a little irritating....

So, for $25, I purchased a ticket for a 1 hour guided tour of the dome that included a skip the line trip up the elevator.  It was directly through the Vatican, not one of the outside parties.  Definitely worth it!  There was so much to learn and after we reached the top and were given a 360 degree tour, we were at our leisure to explore.

Because I had seen them before, the museum and the Sistine Chapel did not make it into my day.  The line was 2 hours long and I was not up for it.  However, it is a MUST SEE.  Skip the line and guided tours are also available for the Museums and Sistine Chapel.  If you go, consider it - entrance to the basilica is free, but I think it is a small amount to pay to avoid some of the crowds.


St. Peter's Square:








The Cupola / Dome of St. Peter's Basilica:








]



Looking down from the base of the dome:






St. Peter's Basilica:



























Views from the top:















Vatican Gardens:



















No comments:

Post a Comment