Thursday, January 2, 2014

Moreton Bay

I decided to skip the tennis day session and go out to the coastal area of Moreton Bay.  I went to North Stradbroke Island (the locals call it Straddie).  I went on the train to Cleveland, which is the last stop on that specific train, next to all of the marinas.  

The train was supposed to take about 45 minutes from the city center, but there was a police incident at one of the stations.  Everyone on the train had to get off, take a bus to the following station, and get back on the train, so my travel time was extended.  No reason to complain though, buses were waiting for us and the train was held at the next station.  I thought everything was handled quite smoothly. It was a good way to see some of the suburbs of Brisbane.

By the time I got off the train, to ferry, and then a bus, it took me about 3 hours to get to the area of the island I wanted to go to.   Not as easy of a day trip as I tought it would be, but I think the normal travel time would be 2-2.5 hours.  The total cost was about $45 in transportation fees, which would have been more, but I got to return on the train for free because I was going to the tennis tournament.

Putting the small amount of hecticness aside, the scenery was well worth it.  I just wish I had more time to spend on the island.  I went to the area called Lookout Point, where there is an enormous and beautiful beach, a few small shops and cafés, and a boardwalk over some of the cliffs.  I could see turtles swimming from the boardwalk above and actually saw a shark as well.  People say they often see whales and dolphins here too.  Children were cliff diving, wake boarding, jet skiing, swimming, paddle boarding, and really enjoying all aspects of the beach here.  

The island here is different than others I have been to.  It reminds of of southern Florida, with mangrove type scenery, but also of northern islands in Maine, with large, old trees.  But of course, it has a feel that maybe only Australia can have?

There's a ton of hotels and it seems really great for backpackers. It's very remote and if you want to get away, come here.  There is supposed to be a large aboriginal population as well.
It was so incredibly beautiful.  The colors of the water and the diverse scenery were hard to capture, but I tried in the pictures below :)

If you ever go, I highly recommend a little restaurant called Fishes at the Point. Huge selection of seafood, breakfast, burgers, beer, and wine.  Great atmosphere. 

Beach from above 
Cliff divers 
Cleveland area intracoastal 
Beautiful calm water 
Kangaroo crossing

Awesome meal at Fishes at the Point










No comments:

Post a Comment