Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Spit Bridge to Manly Scenic Coastal Walk

On my last day in Sydney, after my behind the scenes tour of the zoo, I took the bus to Spit Bridge and walked from there to Manly.  This scenic walkway goes along the coast, past the northern beaches in the area, and through the Sydney Harbour National Park.  This is a bush walk for much of the beginning and then offers amazing views from above the city before taking you through residential and coastal areas.  

This walk is about 10km  and took me abou 3 hours to complete, stopping for pictures and to watch some of the beach goers.  It is much more secluded than the Bondi to Coogee walk that I did a few days ago; I only crossed 23 people on the path until I got to the Manly area.

It was not easy, but the scenery was definitely worth it.  I felt like I saw many different environments and was in a completely different place even though I was only a few miles north of Bondi and the southern beaches.  There were stairs down to many small coves and beaches, waterfalls, and beautiful rock formations.

At first, I was a little scared, paranoid I was going to come across some huge snake or spider or whatever creepy animals Australia is known for.  But, I overcame my fears pretty quickly when I saw the beauty of the area.

When I got to Manly, I treated myself to dinner and a drink before catching there ferry back to the city.  Only a 30 minute ride, it was a perfect way to end the evening. 

Check out the pictures to see the difference between the two beach areas. Both walks are a must do when you are in Sydney!













No comments:

Post a Comment